SLC effectively rules out Sylhet as venue for Bangladesh series
Sri Lanka Cricket have effectively ruled out Sylhet as a venue for their series in Bangladesh, with board vice-president Mohan de Silva saying Sylhet was not on his security committee’s schedule. De Silva said the travel involved for the teams if Sylhet was a venue would be a security issue.
The tour – scheduled to start later this month – has been the subject of much speculation because of the prevailing political instability in Bangladesh and the incidents of violence in recent weeks. Sri Lanka are known to be in favour of a compact schedule and dropping Sylhet from the itinerary could be the best way to ensure the tour goes ahead.
SLC’s security committee, which includes de Silva, is currently inspecting the venues and security arrangements in Bangladesh, and the tour will be confirmed only once the committee has okayed it.
SLC had previously said their final decision on the tour would be announced on January 15, but have now said they will only firm up their stance during the weekend at the earliest. “We are waiting on the report of the security people who have gone there,” SLC secretary Nishantha Ranatunga said. “They get back on the 18th, so when they get back we can give a confirmed decision. So far we don’t see a problem, but the report will tell us if there are any areas we need to look at and get sorted out.”
If Sylhet is dropped as a venue, the Mirpur stadium would host the three-match ODI series, as well as the first Test from January 27. Chittagong would host the second Test and the two Twenty20s. “We were considering the time duration from hotel to venue,” de Silva said. “At this time, we just think that instead of playing just one or two games in one venue, if we can confine ourselves to venues where within the shortest period of time the team can get from the hotel to the venue, that is advisable for us.”
Source & Photo credit ESPN